Sunday 9 April 2017

Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream



Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

Summer again, weather is very warm cold desserts or snacks like chendol, smoothies and ice cream are perfect to beat the heat. Since my son like Oreo a lot I thought of making him Cookies and Cream ice cream even though he is not really an ice cream fan. Again, as usual to find recipes I have to turn to Mr. Google my reliable source and find for good and simple recipe to try. This is my first time to make homemade ice cream. Normally, I would look for at least four recipes and compare which one is better and tried. Sometimes I can get recipe that suits my taste bud on one try but most of the times at least I will try two recipes and do some modifications before I can get it right. This recipe I got from yummy.ph with slight modification seems will fit to what I am looking for.


 The recipe is for Cheese Ice Cream, I replace the cheese with one pack of Oreo crushed and broken into pieces, added whip cream and vanilla. The beating portion I guess is the challenging part of making this ice cream. Imagine you have to beat it for more than 10 minutes, I should use my stand mixer to do the job for me instead of using the handheld electric beater but not sure if will yield the same outcome, maybe next time I will try. Anyway, the final product turns out very nice, it was creamy and smooth and even got a good comment from my hubby (feeling proud) who is not an avid fan of ice cream. My kids like it so much also.   

Homemade Cookies n Cream Ice Cream Recipe
Recipe adapted from Yummy.ph and modified according to my cooking preference: 

Ingredients:
·       1 cup all-purpose cream
·       1/2 cup fresh milk
·       1 can evaporated milk (big)
·       1 cup white sugar (or less depending on your preference but do note that the Oreo is already sweet)
·       1 egg
·       1 pack Oreo Cookies (divided, half crushed to fine grains and other half just break into pieces)
·       ½ cup Whip Cream
·       1 tsp Vanilla Extract



Instruction:
1.   In a saucepan, add both creams, fresh milk, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla and egg. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.

2.   Allow the mixture to simmer until thick then take it off from the heat.

3.   Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

4.   Beat the chilled mixture until it has doubled (about 10 minutes or more). Mixed in both prepared Oreos till well combine. Transfer to an aluminum pan or any container you wish to store the ice cream, cover it and leave in the freezer to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.



2 comments: