Saturday 8 April 2017

Salted Egg Yolk Prawn

Salted Egg Yolk Prawn


I came across this dish when one member of the social media group that I join posted this dish and from the photo itself, you can tell the dish is yummy. I asked her recipe if she can share and she mentioned that she only found the recipe thru Google. So, same thing I searched in Google to find a good recipe to try, so many recipes showed up and some are complicated for a starter like me for this dish, until I found one recipe that is simple and good. 



This is actually my second attempt for this dish. The first attempt was an epic failure as I used a ready mixed salted egg yolk. Everything looks fine till I put the ready mixed egg yolk the finish product appearance is totally different to what is expected though the taste is still yummy. Lesson learned, don’t ever do shortcut when you are just learning how to cook the dish.

My 1st attempt for this dish using ready mixed

For this second attempt of mine, I bought the real salted egg and steamed it as per the recipe calls. I made a little change on prawn preparation, I deveined and half shelled it, pour one beaten egg, cornstarch, and pinch of salt before frying them. I half shelled the prawns for two reasons: prawn will better absorb the salted egg yolk sauce and not messy to eat. I did not sprinkle the smashed salted egg yolk rather I pour it on the milk mixture before tossing in the prawn and it was good as the sauce cover the prawn.

 I was very satisfied with my second try and sure this will be a recipe for me to keep and will cook again whenever I craved for this dish. Hope you give a try too.


Salted Egg Yolk Prawn Recipe
Adopted from Salted Egg Butter Prawn and modified according to my cooking preference

INGREDIENTS:
12 tiger prawns trimmed, devein, half shelled and pat dry
1 egg, slight beaten
2 Tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
4 salted egg yolks, steamed and mashed
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp sugar
100g evaporated milk
10 pieces curry leaves
2 small chillies
Salt to taste



INSTRUCTION:
1.   Pour the slight beaten egg, and pinch of salt on prepared prawns, then mix, then pour the cornstarch or tapioca flour then mix again.
2.   Heat oil and deep fry prawns. Drain out on kitchen papers to absorb excess oil. Set aside.
3.   Heat 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat until melted. Add curry leaves and chillies, stir fry for 2 minutes until aromatic.
4.   Add evaporated milk and sugar, cook over medium heat until sauce boil, simmer for 2 minutes, then pour in the smashed egg yolks stir and cook till the sauce thickens and well blended. Turn off the heat
5.   Add prawns back to wok and toss constantly until the prawns covered with sauce.
6.   Transfer to serving dish then serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment